Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Top 10 Books I Loved as a Kid

10. The 13 Clocks by James Thurber
I loved the surrealism of this book.
9.
The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline B. Cooney
This was the coolest book in elementary school.
8.
Half Magic (series) by Edward Eager
Great stories, but I remember loving the illustrations and trying to copy them as well.
7.
There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom by Louis Sachar
This book made me cry and almost made me consider becoming a teacher.
6.
The Farthest-Away Mountain by Lynne Reid Banks
For some reason, my friends and I were obsessed with this book and read it to pieces.
5.
A Wrinkle in Time (series) by Madeleine L'Engle
I'm sure I didn't understand half of what was going on, but couldn't put it down nonetheless.
4.
Anne of Green Gables (series) by L. M. Montgomery
I could read these over and over again for the rest of my life.
3.
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
We got to make our own word-market booths and sell words, it was so fun.
2.
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi
We would be sucked in by this book every reading time and beg our teacher to read one more chapter.
1.
Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt
This was one of those books that confirmed my desire to become a writer.

This list is incredibly nostalgic. Don't you wish you could go back to your childhood and have all the time in the world to read again? I used to curl up somewhere in my room and read a half dozen books at once. Now it takes me 2 weeks to finally finish one novel.

These are the first 10 books that came to mind on this topic. If I'd actually gone online and searched through thousands of titles, I'm sure I would have never gotten it narrowed down to ten. I would pick any of these books back up in a second. Any favorites that you can remember?

2 comments:

Yukiko said...

I LOVE books I read as a kid... i think some of the imagery i had while reading them is still so ingrained in my head that they turn up in dreams or sometimes i confuse them with actual memories. Let's see... well, all Roald Dahl, obvs, but especially BFG. The Giver, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, My Side of the Mountain, The Ancient One, Ella Enchanted, Eric Carle books, Dr. Seuss is a genius (The Lorax), The Stinky Cheeseman, and who can ever forget Chicka Chicka Boom Boom? Oh man, I'm definitely going to read these this summer.

H.Cook said...

Ditto everything. One of the best classes I took at BYU was Children's Literature. We were required to read 500 children's books. So fun. It would be great to be a kid again... there are so many new GOOD books out now. Maybe I'll head over to the library today.