Monday, May 12, 2008

Top 10 Ways to Say "I Love You"

10. Volim te; Ljubim te (Serbo-Croatian)
9. Ani ohev otach (Hebrew)
8. Ngiya kuthanda (Zulu)
7. Aloha au la o'e (Hawaiian)
6. Eu te amo (Portugese)
5. Seni seviyorum (Turkish)
4. I love you (English)
3. As tave myliu (Lithuanian)
2. Noi makokonda (Chewa)
1. Je t'aime (French)


These were ordered hastily depending on how softly and passionately I could imagine them being said (granted, I am only guessing on the pronunciations for most of these.) Some of you may be disappointed that I didn't include Japanese here... I think it was at a disadvantage in that I actually understand it. "Aishite imasu" just does not sound like it's from the heart for me. It is so indirect, with no clear subject or object, as if they are afraid of admitting to having such a wonderful emotion as love. That's why I love English: it is absolutely clear who is speaking, whom it's being spoken to, and what is being conveyed. Also near the bottom of my list is German ("Ich liebe dich," ugh.) If you want to try and prove to me that it can be uttered amorously, be my guest.

1 comment:

H.Cook said...

I love the Chewa one!